In preparation for Safety Sabbath 2017
, local church safety committees are reviewing their schedule to make sure:
9 Key Elements for Your Evacuation Route and Plan*
A well thought-out and tested evacuation route and plan are key to a successful fire drill. While planning the evacuation route, keep these elements in mind.
- Designate primary and secondary exits
- Avoid emergency exits in restrooms. Do not use windows in bathrooms as emergency exits.
- Exit away from rooms with hazardous materials
- Avoid emergency exits through narrow passages
- Exit signs indicating the nearest emergency exit
- Designate an assembly area outside and away from the building
- Do not use elevators to reach an emergency exit
- Indicate exits with wheelchair access
- Indicate the current location with a “YOU ARE HERE” dot on emergency exit maps. The location marker varies based on where in the building a particular map is located.
Once the plan is complete, take a moment to walk through your facilities following the routes and consider the following: Are the route directions easy to follow? Are they readily accessible? Am I following the guidelines above? Test the routes to make sure everyone can follow the instructions and evacuate the building as quickly as possible.
Safety Sabbath 2017
Adventist Risk Management, Inc. cares about the safety and security of your church. Our team wants to make sure you have a plan in place to get everyone out safe and sound in the event of a fire. Register for Safety Sabbath 2017
to receive additional materials to carry out a successful fire drill. Register today
and learn how you can keep your church (and its members) safe.
By: Elizabeth Camps
Writer and Public Relations Specialist
Adventist Risk Management, Inc.
* THIS MATERIAL IS FACT BASED GENERAL INFORMATION AND SHOULD NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, BE CONSIDERED SPECIFIC LEGAL ADVICE REGARDING A PARTICULAR MATTER OR SUBJECT. PLEASE CONSULT YOUR LOCAL ATTORNEY OR RISK MANAGER IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO DISCUSS HOW A LOCAL JURISDICTION DEALS WITH ANY SPECIFIC CIRCUMSTANCES YOU MAY BE FACING.