A field trip is coming up, and you need drivers. Who will slide behind the wheel? Are they safe drivers? Adventist Risk Management, Inc. (ARM) breaks down the questions you need to ask before your volunteer drivers buckle up.
A: No, not everyone who volunteers for church or school trips is eligible to drive. Volunteer drivers must:
- complete the volunteer screening process and background check,
- be 21 or older, or 19 or older with Conference approval,
- have a valid and current driver’s license rated for the type of vehicle they will drive,
- according to church policy, have an acceptable driving record during the previous three years with not more than two traffic citations and no accidents that results in a conviction of a misdemeanor or criminal charge while driving any vehicle.*
A: Obtain a vehicle infraction history from state/provincial records and regularly review them.
Learn more about the volunteer screening process and background check in ARM's Child Protection page.
Q: What do I need to do before allowing any volunteers to drive?
- Make sure all drivers meet the requirements listed above.
- Keep an easy-access list inside each vehicle of the event’s key leaders and local emergency contact information.
- Instruct each driver to perform a vehicle pre-trip inspection to make sure the vehicle is in good working order.
- Pray with the drivers and send them on their way!
It All Comes Down to StewardshipAs a ministry leader, whether your ministry is your church, Pathfinder Club, school, camp, office, or home, God has given you ministry resources to manage. Everyone should be a good steward of these resources. This means making responsible choices on who is operating the vehicles during any church or school outing. Make sure the drivers using all vehicles are the best candidates for the task.
ARM Cares about keeping your drivers and your ministry safe. Learn more about safe drivers and transportation on ARM's Drivers and Transportation page.
Talk with your Account Executive for more information on Commercial Auto Insurance.